Prophylaxis (Teeth Cleaning) Frederick MD
What is a dental prophylaxis?
- Prophylaxis is an important dental treatment for stopping the progression of gingivitis and periodontal disease.
- A dental prophylaxis is a cleaning treatment performed to thoroughly clean the teeth and gums.
- Prophylaxis is an effective procedure in keeping the oral cavity in proper health and halting the progression of gum disease.
When Was Your Last Teeth Cleaning?
Contact our office today to schedule an appointment!
What are the benefits of a professional dental cleaning?
- Plaque removal. Tartar (also referred to as calculus) and plaque buildup, both above and below the gum line, can result in serious periodontal problems. Unfortunately, even with a proper home brushing and flossing routine, it can be impossible to remove all debris, bacteria and deposits from gum pockets. The experienced eye of a dentist or hygienist using specialized dental equipment is necessary to catch potentially damaging buildup.
- A healthier looking smile. Stained and yellowed teeth can dramatically decrease the esthetics of a smile. Prophylaxis is an effective treatment in ridding the teeth of these unsightly stains.
- Fresher breath. Bad breath (or halitosis) is generally indicative of advancing periodontal disease. A combination of rotting food particles (possibly below the gum line) and potential gangrene stemming from gum infection, results in bad breath. The routine removal of plaque, calculus and bacteria at our facility can noticeably improve halitosis and reduce infection.
Prophylaxis can be performed at our office. We recommend that prophylaxis be performed twice annually as a preventative measure, but should be completed every 3-4 months for periodontitis sufferers. It should be noted that gum disease cannot be completely reversed, but prophylaxis is one of the tools Dr. Edland can use to effectively halt its progression.